Sensing an acute lack of options, my opponent Ed completed his turn, begrudging and reluctant, foreshadowing his lead slipping away. Once finished and the paltry score tallied, opportunity unfolded.

My lips curled into a smile, I paused knowingly, savouring the moment.

'Q-U-A-Y.' There was a loud, prolonged sigh to my right. Ed hung his head in defeat.  I calculated the maths aloud, though there was little need.

'Let's see that's, four, eight, plus three. Then eight plus ten, eleven, twelve makes twenty times three makes sixty plus eleven, makes seventy-one! Please and thank you very much!' My highest word score ever. I must have been inspired.

Game over.

No sooner had the words escaped my lips than Ed capitulated, folding the board. The plastic squares merged into a jumbled mess before tumbling into the drawstring bag. Just then my husband David emerged from the games room into the living area, sauntering over to offer his friend commiserations and a glass of crisp white wine with cheese crackers, provided courtesy of our Unique Home Stays welcome hamper.

'You think this is bad, it's even worse when she loses.'

'Right. Well that takes care of my cerebral exertions for the day. DVD anyone?' Ed chimed, clearly over his loss.

We all agreed and I grabbed a glass of my own and sipped slowly, savouring the flavour, relishing my victory. With the kids in bed, we two couples sat warm and cosy on plush, deep sofas. The fire crackled and rain poured, providing a lulling accompaniment to the evening. 

Despite inclement weather our first day, with cushy furnishings, books, and board games galore, Neptune House provided space and entertainment enough for our two families. The next day I woke to the sun streaming through our bedroom curtains and the green grass glistening with morning dew. I looked out of our master bedroom admiring the vista offering a stunning view of the azure bay of St. Mawes. The Med had some competition.

With husband and baby still slumbering I padded downstairs to fix myself a cuppa when I heard the pitter-patter of tiny feet quickly behind me.

After such sweet dreaming the toddlers were fired up. Breakfast could wait. Still in jim-jams, they each put on their shoes and jackets. We headed outside to the immaculate garden. It was a child's paradise. Bouncing, galloping, sliding and falling over themselves, soon the rest of the house was awake from their joyful giggles. It was infectious. Minutes later David shuffled out cradling our little one in his arms to find his wife soaring through the air, higher and higher and more giddy with each jump. Like I said, it was infectious.

We shall surely be returning.